Monday, September 17, 2012

Shanah Tovah

Last year, it took what seemed like eons to teach my fiance the proper greeting for the first of the Jewish holidays.

My beloved proved to be a much quicker study than yours truly.

The days leading up to the end of one year and the beginning of a new one have reminded me of a reality that I have been slow to learn:

One cannot control some circumstances, but one can always control one's reaction to them.

I cannot control whether yet another cancer spot shows up on my innocent, tough, little pug.  And I cannot control whether friends (even "life-long" ones) and family hold up their end of the bargain.

But, I can control whether I reach for a glass (let's be honest, a bottle) of vino and scrounge up whatever forbidden foods have had the gaul to remain in this house.

As I sit awake at 4am and ignore the calls of the cake in my freezer, I have managed to hone in on my (not-so-poetic) hope for the New Year:

May the New Year bring us all the grace to react in ways that are reflective of our best self.

Shanah Tovah!

No comments:

Post a Comment