Sunday, December 26, 2010

Had Myself a Merry Little Christmas

Had a lovely Christmas lunch yesterday.  Yes, I'm aware that I'm a Jew--the Jew who loves X-mas!

As I may have mentioned, Weight Watchers operates on a points system.  Victims are given a daily number of points  that they then eat away at (double entendre intended).  The number of points that you receive are based on weight--let's just say that I have a pretty sizable number of points in comparison to, well, everyone.

Without boring you with all of the eating details, I left Christmas lunch feeling like I had done an exceptional job at restraint.  To ensure that Christmas lunch would be at least somewhat healthful, my fam volunteered to bring the main course--turkey chili. I staved off a second glass of wine and turned a mostly blind-eye to the pecan pie. There was no way I was gonna have trouble with exceeding my daily points.

(Not so) Famous last words.

I went home and entered my food into the master tracker with a proud grin on my face---I must have done soooooooo well!  WRONG.  As I entered each virtuous morsel and watched the point tally climb, my smile faded to a grumpy face.  This prompted me to do a similar exercise with what I would have eaten, had I not done the whole life change thing.  Scary.

The end result: the realization that THIS is why I am fat.

The concept that I formerly had of portion size, food values, and truly healthful foods was off the rails.  Add to that a love of socializing over late nite food/ drink and not as much of a zeal for working out and you've got, well, me.

Who says you have to be in the Jesus camp to learn something at Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment