Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Resilience

I have this almost perfect pug--she's a bit bow legged, a tad mischievous, and highly vocal.  This almost perfect pug of mine had to have surgery this week for her not so perfect cancer.

After the surgery finished we get a call from the doc.  Apparently, a half hour after being slit open like a hot dog, the poor little pug is bouncing around and wagging her tail as if nothing had happened.  We were then informed of how critical it was for us to keep her calm for the next 5 days--a feat that the vet clearly had not mastered.

This morning I awoke as usual and grumpily put my gym clothes on (as usual).   As I was corralling her out to do her business--begging her to not chase her tail, jump on my leg, or go charging after a squirrel--I scolded myself for being such a wuss.

If a 16.3 lb pug can be spunky less than 24 hours after a pretty heinous procedure and with enough drugs in her to lay me out for days, I can manage to make it 30 minutes on the elliptical and stave off a pizza.  It's kinda funny sometimes where we pull lessons from!

No comments:

Post a Comment